Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Destiny's child {a flash fiction}

I haven’t told you but I noticed the forlorn look on your face each time we went to the gynaecologist. I simply don’t understand as to why you are so close minded to treatments.”

Sumi looks at her husband and does not say a word as she gets into the car.
 
“What is the matter with you, Sumi? You have to understand that I too feel disappointed. Can we not consider options?” Kumar is unable to control his irritation.
 
“Treatments are very expensive and there is no guarantee that they will work. It could take a few years and we are not growing any younger, says Sumi nonchalantly, staring at the young couple happily making their way towards the car park.
 
“Okay then. Are you close minded to adoption, too?”
 
Sumi looks at her husband. This is music to her ears.
 
“Are you sure?” She asks, her face lighting up instantly.
 
“Yes of course! If that will make you the Sumi I courted, fell in love with and got married against my parents’ wishes, then why not?” Kumar grins as he starts the ignition.
 
Sumi is unable to control her emotions. She sobs quietly. How else would she be able to bring her little daughter, Maria, home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was startled to see two strange men seated on the tattered sofa of my tiny home. I quickly hid behind the curtain but it was too late....