Saturday, April 15, 2017

"If you feel deeply passionate about your goals and are ready to go all the way, there’s nothing that can stop you from getting there." -Roopleen In conversation with Revathi Raj Iyer


Author Interview- Revathi Raj Iyer

Revathi Raj Iyer, is a truly multifaceted personality. She is a freelance writer, a book reviewer, a trained classical dancer, a strong advocate and practitioner of yoga, a fitness enthusiast, a professionally qualified Company Secretary (India & New Zealand) with legal background. Her debut book ‘My Friendship with Yoga’ published by Lifi Publications is another feather in her cap.

After having worked in the corporate field for over a decade, Revathi said goodbye to a successful career with a multinational to focus on more meaningful things in life and pursue her twin passions, yoga and writing fulltime. After living in Fiji Islands for many years and getting trained in yoga in Fiji Islands and New Zealand, Revathi is happy to have moved back to India. She now lives in Ahmedabad and is busy working on her next book.

Let’s get talking and find out more about this amazing and very talented author.

Roopleen: Please share with us the story behind your passion for yoga. How did the journey begin?

Revathi Raj Iyer: Physical activity was dominant in my life right from an early age. I trained as a classical dancer since my school days and this continued till my late twenties. For almost a decade there was a complete break as I became engrossed with my career together with being a hands on mum to a lovely little daughter alongside other demands that needed my attention.

Things changed when we moved to Fiji Islands. I chose to take a break from my corporate career and became a full time mum. I got back into fitness with intense aerobics and strength training, along with a bunch of friends. Around that time when I was in my late thirties, I began to read about yoga, tai chi and was filled with an urge to learn something different. As destiny would have it, a disciple of Yogacharya BKS Iyengar was deputed to Fiji to introduce this ancient tradition to the people of Fiji. Yoga was at my door step and thus began my journey in the heavenly island of Fiji. To me it was an exercise, dance,meditation and gradual awakening of a hidden spiritual side within me. I embraced yoga with heartfelt love and since then it has become part of my routine.

Roopleen: What is the premise of your book ‘My friendship with yoga?’

Revathi Raj Iyer: ‘My Friendship with Yoga’ is about my progression from learning under an instructor to achieving confidence in self-practice and sharing my varied experiences with readers. I have presented the complicated aspects of yoga in a lucid style with practical hints so as to cater book lovers of all age groups and skill levels. The book is divided into three parts – Narrative which combines the physical, psychological and spiritual aspects of yoga, wherein a selection of topics along with interesting anecdotes have been covered.

The second Part of the book has more than 80 postures with steps to attain these, guidelines, tips, techniques and benefits; keeping in mind yoga enthusiasts, beginners as well as those who have been practising yoga. The third part consists of the much desired weekly practice schedule written sequentially with clear instructions to enhance one’s practice.

Roopleen: How can yoga contribute to living a meaningful life?

Revathi Raj Iyer: Yoga is a great form of physical fitness, therapeutic as well as meditative. During the initial stages, yoga helps to make our body flexible and fit. Dedicating 45 minutes twice or thrice a week will serve as a good beginning to sustain your practice, as it did when I began to learn yoga. Focussing on our breath and synchronising it with every movement as we attain a posture improves our concentration and we connect with our mind. Gradually a devoted yoga practice helps us to develop a receptive, calm and open mind that wishes to learn and evolve. A calm mind can think better and perform well even under pressure. The postures make our body agile and all of these strengthen our mind as well as body thus leading the path to a meaningful life.

Roopleen: How did you get started as a writer?

Revathi Raj Iyer: As a book lover from an early age, I have often thought as to what it takes to be on the other side and how wonderful it would be to connect with book lovers all over the world, as a writer.I started off as a book reviewer and was invited to join the panel of Muse India. This was my first step as a writer. Thereafter I began writing short stories, poems and limericks.

As my work started getting acknowledged in magazines, both print and online, it encouraged me to keep writing. I then decided to combine my passion for yoga and writing to reach out to a wider audience. ‘My Friendship with Yoga’ thus took shape and was launched on the 10th January, 2017 at the New Delhi World Book Fair. Thanks to Lifi Publications for making this happen!

Roopleen: What brings out the best of creativity in you- writing poetry or fiction?

Revathi Raj Iyer: I would say, both. Fiction is expansive in that it gives me the liberty to play around with words, situations, create variouscharacters and weave stories around them. Poetry on the other hand, is an abridged way of expressing my thoughts. In fact, the second book that I am working on relates to fiction.

Roopleen: What does success and happiness mean to you?

Revathi Raj Iyer: Success means to be able to accomplish my goals that I set at the start of each year. Happiness is to be able to enjoy that journey.

Roopleen: How has your life transformed after embracing yoga as a way of life?

Revathi Raj Iyer: Yoga has helped me to deal with any situation in a pragmatic and dispassionate manner. It has enabled me to let go of the past and negative emotions, be more positive and result oriented and direct my energies towards my creative pursuit. As yoga is also meditative in nature, it provided me with what we all need the most, clarity in thought and expression.

Roopleen: Has yoga helped you in getting any closer to the elusive work-life balance?

Revathi Raj Iyer: I made a choice to quit my corporate career when I was in my late 30’s. Yoga has certainly helped in making me acknowledge and appreciate the choices I have made so far, and offered me a healthier and more content lifestyle.

Roopleen: Do you think love of yoga can be a feasible career path as well?

Revathi Raj Iyer: Why not? We have so many role models across the globe who have shown us the way.

Roopleen: What advice would you give to the aspiring and budding writers?

Revathi Raj Iyer: My only advice to aspiring writers is: “Rejections are a part of the whole process of being ultimately accepted and acknowledged, as a writer. Please do not give up, no matter what, and pursue your passion, despite the road blocks. Do not ever succumb to this self-created monster, the so called ‘writer’s block’, which is a fragmentof our own imagination.Think of the book lovers and connect with them. Write for them and the passion will always be with you.”

******
Interviewed by Dehradun based Dr Roopleen Prasad, an opthalmologist, motivational speaker & an author!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was startled to see two strange men seated on the tattered sofa of my tiny home. I quickly hid behind the curtain but it was too late....