Monday, May 21, 2018

Reflection - a poem published in Hans India


Here is a poem ‘Reflection’ by Ahmedabad-based Revathi Raj Iyer, presented by Mr. Atreya Sarma, in The Hans India daily (20 May 2018)…Enjoy reading it… 

REFLECTION
That mulberry tree, my quiet haven 
Amidst the squeals, squirrels and songbirds;
Rapturous they were.
I held back unsure, unsteady
Atop the branch, aeons ago, afraid to jump.

A shrill wail! I turned around.
Her pig tails caught my eye 
As they flew like birdies.
Her wail was distraught;
She started to weep
Terrified of the sweep.
Slides are meant to excite
Not scare the wits.
Her father coaxed; she refused to let go;
Tightened her grip on his sleeve.

I smiled, I remembered… I saw myself 
A little girl with pigtails 
Atop the branch, afraid to jump.
I looked down; he pacified me
And said it won’t hurt.
I would glide, a smooth fall;
And his hands would hold.

I let go, jumped, and slid to safety.
Yes, it was a smooth fall 
On the cold coarse sand 
That scattered my memories,
And left me shattered.
Although I learnt to fly
I never saw my father, again

Revathi Raj Iyer

Revathi Raj Iyer, from Ahmedabad, is a freelance writer, book reviewer, company director, service volunteer and yoga/fitness enthusiast. Qualified as Company Secretary (India & New Zealand) with legal background, she has worked in the corporate field for over a decade. She bade adieu to a rewarding career with a multinational to become a full time mum and pursue her twin passions, yoga and writing. This was followed by a long stint in Fiji Islands, where she started to learn yoga, and thereafter pursued the training in New Zealand. Continuing her passion for yoga after moving to India, she has brought out a book ‘My Friendship with Yoga’ (Lifi Publications), and is working on her second book that relates to fiction.

http://epaper.thehansindia.com/1664496/SUNDAY-HANS/SUNDAY-HANS#page/16/1
Click on the LINK, or ZOOM the text for a clear view of the entire poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was startled to see two strange men seated on the tattered sofa of my tiny home. I quickly hid behind the curtain but it was too late....