Friday, February 12, 2016

Hope (Revathi Raj Iyer)


I was startled to see two strange men seated on the tattered sofa of my tiny home. I quickly hid behind the curtain but it was too late. He saw me. The footsteps were now getting closer.
“Ma…….” I screamed in sheer fright as I felt an arm rub against my petite body.
I went to a municipal school but harboured a dream to go a big school where well to do kids studied.
“Will you make my dream come true, ma?  I asked in all earnest.
“Try and be happy with what we have,” my mother said quietly.
I had no idea as to how ma managed to feed and clothe me or run the house. Most girls at school had both parents but my ma was both rolled into one. I was very proud of her.
“Who are these men lurking by our house? They don’t look nice. I see them daily when I get back from school. Be careful ma,” I said as I closed the door and bolted it.
I now felt two strong arms lift me. I kicked helplessly.
Ma……” I screamed again. I was petrified as I felt the strap tighten around my body. Just then, I saw my mother enter the house. I knew that ma was strong and would do something to end this nightmare.
Overwhelmed with a sense of relief, I cried even louder “ma …….do something quickly.”
To my utter shock, she stood still. As we passed our eyes met and I shivered at that cold, stony glare. The men guffawed. I felt a gush of bile rise up my throat. As the van revved up in the silence of the night, I saw ma close the door; and that’s when I knew she did not love me anymore…



Window of Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was startled to see two strange men seated on the tattered sofa of my tiny home. I quickly hid behind the curtain but it was too late....